Blueberry muffins

...that seriously does me in. Just delicious! I found this recipe in the Boston Globe and gave it a whirl. There's another one for "Sour cream blueberry cake" that I need to try, also. Stay tuned, in the meantime, here's the recipe for Blueberry-lemon muffins. Says it makes 12 but I made about 16 - I could've filled the 12 up higher I guess.

Grease pan (cups and top)
2 c. flour 
1/2 tsp. salt 
2 tsp. baking powder 
1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temp. 
3/4 c. sugar
 4 egg whites 
1 tsp. vanilla 
1 Tbsp. Grated lemon rind 
Juice of 1 lemon 
1/2 c. milk 
1 1/2 c. fresh blueberries picked over for stems and leaves (I used entire container!) 
Extra sugar for sprinkling 

Heat oven to 375. In a bowl, sift the flour, salt and baking powder; set aside. In an electric mixer (I just used hand electric mixer), cream the butter and sugar. Add the egg whites and mix until blended. Beat in the vanilla, lemon rind, and lemon juice. With the mixer set on lowest speed, beat the flour mixture into the batter alternately with the milk. FOLD in berries with rubber spatula. Divide the batter among the cups and sprinkle with sugar. Set the muffins on a large baking sheet*. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Turn pan halfway through baking. Let cool, remove and enjoy. 

*I put some on a pan and some not on a pan - but with a pan underneath that rack to catch drippings and the difference was: the ones on the pan were a bit softer, almost mushy. The others were browner. So, next time I'd probably not put them right on pan and cook a little less time. I guess it depends on your oven. But these are soo incredibly delicious - just succulent berries! (I had some berries that were seriously nickel-sized - YUM!)

Comments