Easy Whole Wheat Bread

I have to post this amazing recipe for whole wheat bread. I've wanted to find a good recipe for whole wheat bread and THIS IS IT!!! (Sorry the photo isn't so great...) Yummy, Easy Whole Wheat Bread from the Sisters' Cafe.

3 1/2 cups hot tap water (helps offset the cool can of milk)
1 (12oz.) can evaporated milk
3 Tbs instant yeast (like SAF)
2/3 cup oil
1 cup honey
1 cup white flour
3 Tbs vital wheat gluten
2 Tbs dough enhancer (optional)
Approx. 12 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 Tbs salt
Grind your wheat while getting everything else ready. Then, using a Bosch or other heavy duty mixer, combine ingredients in the order given, mixing well after half the flour, then add the other half of flour and salt. Add a little extra white flour as needed if dough is too sticky. Knead in mixer for 8 minutes. Dump out dough on greased counter and spread with your hand. Form into 5 loaves. Place in a bread pan pressing down sides of each to fill the bottom of the pan (leave the middle smooth and round). Let rise in a warm spot until almost desired bread size (about 1 hour). Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 25-30 minutes (the top will be golden brown). Remove from oven to wire racks and brush tops of hot loaves with butter.

My notes: obviously, I have invested in wheat, a grinder (wow - it's so fast!), SAF yeast, vital wheat gluten and dough enhancer. I did a Froogle search (do they still call it Froogle? Why not?) and found some. I realize not everyone will have that stuff but if you do, try this recipe. Also, you could probably use wheat flour from the store but make sure it's pretty fresh. I literally finished grinding my wheat and then made my bread and it was amazing. Even my kids (esp. Abby who doesn't eat a whole lot that isn't pure white) were all over this. I don't have 5 medium/large loaf pans so I made 4 of that size and then 2 mini loaves. One of the reasons I love this recipe is that it's so straightforward... yes, HOT water. Yes, just add everything! I added less than 12 cups but I'm sure it is fine with exactly 12!!!

Comments