Guacamole and Shrimp

This is my new favorite guacamole recipe: so simple and sooo tasty. Let me warn you here: serrano chiles are H-O-T. I rubbed my eye after I made this and it BURNED. So if you do use them, wear rubber gloves because your fingers will have the fumes for a couple of days. My end result didn't exactly look like the pic above but it gives you an idea. 

  Chunky Guacamole by Tyler Florence from the Food Network

4 ripe avocados
 3 limes, juiced 
1/2 red onion, chopped (to minimize tears, refrigerate for at least an hour beforehand) 
1 garlic clove, minced 
2 serrano chiles, sliced thinly (I've made two batches... one I only used 1 and one I didn't use any and it was still good so it depends on how much heat you like) 
1 big handful fresh cilantro, finely chopped Extra virgin olive oil (about a tablespoon) 
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste) 

 Halve and pit the avocados. Scoop out the flesh with a tablespoon into a mixing bowl. Mash the avocados with a fork, leaving them somewhat chunky. Add the remaining ingredients, and fold everything together to gently mix. Lay a piece of plastic wrap right on the surface of the guacamole so it doesn't brown and refrigerate 1 hour before serving.

Printable Guacamole Recipe

And, I am so proud of myself that I made a seafood dish on my own volition. Seriously, I was raised in land-locked states and seafood was not a staple for me. This was delicious!!! Orange-and-Thyme Grilled Shrimp from Everyday Food Magazine Serves 4

  • 1 pound large shrimp (about 24), peeled and deveined, tails on (I used a bag of Trader Joe's frozen jumbo shrimp - all of them)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest, plus 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (~ 2 oranges)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for grates
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
In a shallow dish, combine shrimp, 1 teaspoon zest, 1/4 cup juice, garlic, oil, 1 tablespoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and teaspoon pepper; toss to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes (or up to 8 hours). Soak eight 8-inch wooden skewers in water 30 minutes before cooking. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, remaining 1/2 teaspoon zest, remaining 1/4 cup juice, and remaining 1 teaspoon thyme; season dipping sauce with salt and pepper. Heat grill to medium; lightly oil grates. Thread shrimp onto skewers, and grill, turning once, until shrimp are opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve shrimp with dipping sauce.

Comments