Lemon buttermilk cake

Not to pat myself on the back (because really, I just follow the recipe) but this is one of the best cakes I have ever made. I piped the frosting because the blog I got it from did it. Delicious no matter how you spread it. 
  Lemon buttermilk cake: 
1 1/3 c. sugar
 6 tbsp. butter, softened
 1 tbsp. grated lemon rind
 3 tbsp. thawed lemonade concentrate
 2 tsp. vanilla 
2 large eggs
 2 large egg whites
 2 c. flour
 1 tsp. baking powder
 1/2 tsp. salt
 1/2 tsp. baking soda
 1 1/4 c. fat-free buttermilk (I couldn't find this so I used non-fat plain yogurt) 

Heat oven to 350. For cake: place sugar, butter, lemon rind, lemonade concentrate, vanilla in a large bowl, beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs and egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; stir well. Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk (yogurt) to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture - mix well after each addition. Pour batter into greased pan (You can use 2 9" pans - I used a bundt. It didn't fill the whole thing but it was fine.) Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. (I needed a bit more time for the bundt because of the thickness.) Remove from pan and cool and then ice. 

  Frosting: 2 tsbp. butter, softened 
2 tsp. grated lemon rind
 2 tsp. thawed lemonade concentrate 
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract 
8 oz. 1/2 less-fat cream cheese (I used full-fat cream cheese)
 3 1/2 c. powdered sugar

 Place butter, lemon rind, lemonade concentrate, extract and cream cheese in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, and beat at low speed until just blended. Chill 1 hour and then frost cake. (If you're using 2 rounds, put frosting in between cakes and then frost all around.) I don't know if I'd chill the frosting as long next time. To die for.

Comments