Spinach Salad


This recipe came from a friend years ago and it is THE "go-to" salad for any family gathering.
Not in the photo is the cheese or the dressing - I add those at the last minute...

1 head green leaf lettuce - bite sized pieces
1 pkg spinach - also bite sized (baby spinach is the quickest)
Chopped red onion - about 1/2 of one (optional - if you can stand the tears)
1 - 1 1/2 pkg bacon - cooked, dried, crumbled
1 regular pkg. sliced mushrooms - I chop them even more
1 pkg shredded Swiss or mozzarella cheese

Dressing:
1 c. oil
1 tbsp. poppyseeds
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. vinegar
1/2 - 3/4 c. sugar (to taste)
1/2 tsp. dry mustard

You can make this as big or as small as you want depending on the number of servings you want. Add more greens, more cheese, etc. The dressing is to die for and I save any left over for other salads. I find the dressing more flavorful if it's made ahead of time and refrigerated for a bit but don't always have my act together enough to do this.

Comments