Chicken Enchiladas

Someday, I'll tell a great story about chicken enchiladas when I was young but I don't think this is the place. (Please, no comments from my family.)

This is my go-to recipe when we're craving Mexican and the missionaries always love it because they tend to get a lot of lasagna around here... which is fine but it's nice to change it up.

I have a new recipe I need to try out so stay tuned for that. In the meantime:

Use a big glass casserole dish - bigger than a cake pan. These are supposed to be made a day ahead but I rarely remember that part. Works out either way.

12 large flour tortillas
3-4 chicken breasts cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces (a grocery store cooked roasted chicken would be perfect for this)
2 x 4 oz. cans mild green chilies
3/4 lb. jack cheese
2 regular sized cans cream of chicken soup
2 x 4 oz. sliced black olives (optional)
1 small onion, diced
1 pint sour cream
3/4 lb. cheddar cheese (Sidenote on the cheese: I use about 2 bags of the Mexican blend cheese total - more or less.)
Paprika

Combine soup, chilies, onion, sour cream & olives with most of the cheese (save enough for topping). Measure 2 1/2 c. of the mixture and set aside. To remaining mixture, add the cooked chicken. Place about 1/4 c. of mixture in tortillas, fold over, place in glass dish with seam side down. Makes 12 or more. Cover top with the 2 1/2 c. mixture that was aside. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and sprinkle paprika over all. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until bubbly.

Comments