Honey Lime Enchiladas

Yes, two chicken enchilada recipes in a row. And yes, a photo of my not-so-pretty pan-o-these-divine-enchiladas. No time for styled food photos on this one. DEEE-LISH. Easy. And will be our go-to enchilada recipe from now on.
6 Tbsp. honey
5 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 3-5 limes)
1 Tbsp. chili powder (If you can't handle spicy food (like me), start with 1 tsp of chili powder!)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

1 lb. chicken, cooked and shredded (I used a large rotisserie chicken. It worked out fine but I'll either get a smaller one or double the marinade for a large. The marinade is amazing.)
8-10 flour tortillas (I used whole wheat. And I toasted them in a bit of veggie oil on a skillet. Not sure why. You could probably skip it.)
2 bags Mexican blend cheese - to taste
2 10 oz cans green enchilada sauce (I could not find this. Used one big can of red enchilada sauce.)
1 c. heavy cream (you could substitute sour cream to lighten it up a bit)

Mix the honey, lime juice, chili powder and garlic powder and toss it with the chicken. Let marinade for at least 1/2 hour (or while you're doing the rest of the recipe?) Pour 1 can of enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan. (I just poured out enough to cover the bottom of the pan.) Fill tortillas with chicken and cheese to taste, saving some cheese for the top. Mix the other can of enchilada sauce with the cream and leftover marinade. (I had no leftover marinade and it was fine.) Pour sauce on top of enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes until brown and crispy on top.

You could freeze this - before baking, wrap it up. When you're ready, bake it at 350 for 1 hour - covered. Do not thaw it out first. Uncover and bake for another 30 minutes.



Comments