Cheesy Spaghetti Bake

I made Brad go through one of my favorite cookbooks (which just happens to be called "Favorites". Go figure.) and tell me what to cook and this is what he chose. Good call.

1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
8 oz. sliced fresh mushrooms (I left this out due to picky palates)
1 c. chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28-0z.) can crushed tomatoes
1 15-oz.) can tomato sauce
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. basil flakes
12 oz. spaghetti, broken in half and cooked al dente
8 oz. Mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese, grated
1/4 c. fresh parmesan cheese

Cook ground beef, mushrooms, onion and garlic until brown. Drain. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasonings. (You're basically making your own marinara sauce. I didn't use all of the sauce I made so I froze the rest because it was so tasty. I'd made this sauce on its own.) Simmer for 20-25 minutes, uncovered. In glass baking dish, layer half of the cooked spaghetti, half of the grated Mozzarela cheese and half of the sauce; repeat. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes, uncovered.

Printable Recipe.


Comments