Almond Orange Cake

(Wow - I started typing this post and it was turning into Hindi. I didn't realize I was fluent until now. Learn something new every day.)

Found a new recipe blog that seems worthy of my time. If this cake is any indication, I'll be in good shape. It's Amanda's Cookin' if you don't want to wait for the Queen's reviews.

2 1/4 c. cake flour OR scant 2 c. all-purpose flour
(Upon further research, there really is a difference to these flours and I would use cake flour again in a heartbeat because this cake was so fluffy and moist.)
3.4 oz. box instant vanilla pudding
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. buttermilk (I used fat-free = still good)
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. lemon zest
1 stick (1/2 c.) unsalted butter, softened
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. orange extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1/4 c. sliced almonds, toasted

For glaze:
2 c. powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. buttermilk
3-4 Tbsp. orange juice
1/8 tsp. orange extract (opt.)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a bundt pan.

In a small bowl, mix together flour, dry pudding mix, baking powder and salt; set aside. Measure out buttermilk and set aside. Using your fingertips, rub the lemon zest into the sugar until fragrant. Place lemony sugar and butter into mixing bowl and beat until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition. Turn the mixer speed down to low and add the extracts.

Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk, alternating, starting and ending with the flour. When combined well, turn mixer speed up to medium and beat for three minutes. Put batter into prepared bundt pan and bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes. Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes then invert onto a cooling rack and cool completely..

Blend the glaze ingredients together until you reach a not-too-runny consistency. Place foil/wax paper/pan under cooling rack to catch drips. Drizzle 1/2 of the glaze over the cake and then refrigerate for 10 minutes to allow it to firm up. Stir remaining glaze over the first layer. Drop sliced, toasted almonds onto wet glaze. Allow to set or put in fridge for 10-15 minutes.

I have a couple of recipes that call for the "flour and then xxx and then flour" thing and I don't get it but they are both delicious so I'll keep doing it I s'pose.

PRINTABLE RECIPE.

And now, I am going on a diet of strictly vegetables because I am so sugared out. Yuck.


Comments

  1. Mmmmmmmmm....this was so good. I just got to go get me some orange extract. Thank for coming over. We have to get together again soon. I love that Daniel actually likes my friend's child. It is a win win for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, I'm going to try your baguette recipe too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment