Taco & Italian Seasoning






For some reason, I took it upon myself to make my own spice blends recently. Once out of desire (lower sodium taco seasoning - not to mention tastier!) and once out of need (didn't have Italian seasoning).

Taco Seasoning:

1/4 c. ancho chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 to 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. paprika
2 tbsp. ground cumin
3 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container. (You can buy all of these spices AND jars from Penzeys Spices. I have one not too far from me but you can order online. They have the best spices around. And you can't beat the prices, especially for the quality.)

Italian Seasoning
I needed this for the Lasagna Soup and happened to have it all on hand. Whew!

3 Tbsp. dried basil
3 Tbsp. dried oregano
3 Tbsp. dried parsley
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes

You can either mix these in a spice grinder or with the back of the spoon. Neither of those appealed to me (and I don't have a spice grinder) and so I put them in my small insert on my food processor and it was fine. Doesn't make a ton (surprisingly) but I don't need a ton.

Comments