Raspberry Butter

Brad made some delectable Lion House rolls the other day and someone mentioned that they NEEDED some Maddox raspberry butter go to with them. Well, I live about 2000 miles away from Maddox and so that just wasn't going to happen. (If you haven't been to Maddox in Perry, Utah - honestly, you haven't lived. So amazing. Go see the gorgeous new Brigham City Temple and then eat at Maddox. Perfect day. You could even say hi to some of my ancestors at the cemetery if you feel so inclined.)

ANYWAY, I had some fresh garden raspberries and found a great recipe for raspberry butter from dear old Emeril LeGasse. Some of these butters use raspberry jam which is fine but I wanted to use FRESH garden raspberries. I did and it is to die for. I could bathe in this stuff. Or maybe give some as little gifts. We'll see how generous I feel.

Here are the ingredients:

  • 1 (6-ounce) container fresh raspberries, picked through
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • Pinch salt
Place raspberries in a food processor and pulse until completely pureed. Place raspberry puree in a fine-meshed sieve set over a medium bowl, pressing to extract all the juice from the puree. Discard the seeds and pulp.

Pour the strained puree into a medium saucepan and add the lemon juice and sugar. Bring mixture to a boil, and cook for 2 minutes, or until the mixture slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and cool puree completely.

Cream together the butter, honey, salt, and cooled puree until smooth and well blended. (This may take up to 5 minutes on high speed.) Place butter in molds or onto sheets of plastic wrap and roll into logs. Refrigerate until well chilled and firm.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups butter

Funny: I didn't even read the directions above. I doubled it, stuck everything into my mixer and mixed away. Seriously - added the whole raspberries - seeds, pulp, and all. I added about 1 1/2 Tbsp. more powdered sugar because I doubled it. I'm sure this could easily be frozen for later use.

 

Comments