Grandma's rolls


I have such fond memories of making parker house rolls with my Grandma Gilmore. I still can't get the shape but the taste is there. My Uncle Kirk used to tell me I was going to grow a loaf of bread in my belly because I ate so much dough. That explains so much in my life right now!

I've tried about four different shapes with these and finally decided the folded over rectangles stuck inside buttered muffin cups is my style. 


Mix 1 c. shortening (cut into pieces for easier dissolving)
2/3 c. sugar
2 tsp. salt
Add 1 c. boiling water. Stir until dissolved, then add 1 c. cold water
Add 4 slightly beaten eggs, 2 yeast packets (4.5 tsp. total)
Stir in 7 - 8 c. of flour - sides will be slightly sticky. 
Knead for about 6 minutes (I used my KitchenAid - I start with the paddle attachment and then about 5 cups of flour in, I switch over to the kneading hook.) 
Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise for 1-2 hours. This is what mine looks like at this point - right after taking off the plastic wrap. 

Have an area floured and drop dough onto it. Knead a bit and roll out with a rolling pin - about 3/4" thick. Spread melted butter (salted) onto it and then cut into desired shapes. 


Place rolls onto greased pan with room to rise. When doubled in size, bake at 400 for 10-13 min or until done. Lightly butter again when hot. 

This will make about 70 small rolls. 


(These are a batch I cut into rectangles, twisted and then put into the muffin tin.) 


Comments