Tweak a boxed cake mix - make it amazing!


Funny story: when I was a freshman in college, my roommate Allison made a chocolate cake from scratch. I literally did not know that you could make a cake from scratch. Wow. A sheltered life I lead at the time.

I don't hate box mixes - I figure leave well enough alone. But I did want to kick it up a notch for some cupcakes for a friend. And found the following on Pinterest. They were marvelous. I added the World's Best Buttercream and just some chocolate letters, shapes that I had made the day before (melted some good semi-sweet chocolate I had leftover from Christmas toffee, put it into a plastic baggie, cut the corner and "piped" them onto a silicone baking sheet. Only downside was that they melted easily but they were so tasty!)

So, start with a boxed cake mix...
1. Add one more egg (or 2 if you want it to be super rich)
2. Use melted butter instead of oil and double the amount
3. Use milk instead of water
4. Add 2 tsp. vanilla
5. Preheat oven to 350 but reduce to 325 when inserting cupcakes and bake for 25 minutes. (I'm not a believe on this last one actually. The cupcakes came out very very flat - almost concave - now I'm wondering if this is why. Frosting covered it so it was fine.)

Comments