Italian Pasta Salad

I don't make pasta salad very often because it's either flavorless or overpowering. This recipe was just right and I'd make the dressing again in a heartbeat to have on hand. So so good. Add any vegetable you want! I added bell peppers and asparagus (boil 1 minute after cutting into 1" pieces - throw it in with your pasta at the end of cooking!)

Pasta salad:
1 lb. uncooked pasta - get something that the dressing will stick to like rotini. I doubled this because I felt like the amount of dressing I made would be swimming and it's so good as leftovers. So make that 2 boxes of pasta
3 c. cherry tomatoes, cut in half
8 oz. fresh mozzarella - diced
1 lb. salami or pepperoni or whatever, diced (on the side for them vegetarians)
3/4 c. sliced olives
1/2 c. sliced red onion (I diced mine)
1/2 c. fresh parsley, chopped (oops forgot - I added some fresh basil though)

Salad dressing:
1 1/2 c. olive oil
1/4 c. white vinegar
1/4 c. water
2 Tbsp. course salt (Yes, TABLESPOONS)
2 cloves fresh minced garlic (or 1 tsp. garlic powder)
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp each dry oregano and dry basil
black pepper - to taste
fresh herbs if you want - parsley, basil or chives (optional!!)

Cook pasta according to package directions. Add salt after it's boiling for better flavor. (I learned that if you add the salt before it boils, you increase the boiling point so it takes longer!) Allow to cool and toss with a little oil to prevent sticking.

Blend up the dressing or shake well. Toss together well. Don't add all of the dressing. It's so much better if it's chilled and made at least a day ahead of time for the flavor to really come through. Add any and all vegetables you enjoy! Save leftover dressing and add a little more right before serving and for leftovers too!


Comments