Focaccia



This was my first foray into making focaccia and I'll definitely do it again. So easy and delicious. 
Although I haven't tried it the other way (the quick way), apparently making the dough the night before makes a huge difference. I am a fan. And so so easy. 
I got this recipe from Alexandra's Kitchen - here is the link, you may want to look at all of her notes. 

If you want a flatter end result, you may be able to pull one batch onto a cookie sheet. I used a 9x13 pan and it was thick. 

Ingredients:
4 cups all purpose flour or bread flour (I used bread flour)
2 tbsp kosher salt
2 tsp. instant yeast
2 c. lukewarm water
cooking spray
4 tbsp olive oil (Just have a bunch handy)
flakey sea salt, like Maldon (the best!!!)
1 - 2 tsp rosemary leaves - or whatever else you want to put on it

1 - Make the dough - in a large bowl whisk together the flour, salt and yeast. Add the water, Mix until the liquid is absorbed and the ingredients form a sticky dough. Rub the surface of the dough with olive oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge immediately for at least 12 hours or as long as 3 days. Make sure the dough is tightly covered. 

2 - Generously spray a pan with cooking spray. Pour a tablespoon of olive oil into the center of the pan. Using 2 forks, deflate the dough by releasing it from the sides of the bowl and pulling it towards the center. Rotate the bowl as you rotate turning the mass into a rough ball. (I don’t know how necessary this is but I did it so there you go.) Place into prepared pan, Roll the dough into the oil to coat it all over, forming a rough ball. (And I mean ROUGH!) Let the dough balls rest for 3-4 hours for the second rise. 

3 - Preheat oven to 425. If using rosemary, sprinkle it all over the dough. (I did this after I dimpled the dough and I would do it here next time!) Pour a tablespoon of oil over the dough, rub your hands lightly in olive oil to coat, then using all of your fingers, press straight into the dough to create dimples. You can stretch the dough to cover the pan better here. It's really easy! And it looks amazing! Sprinkle with flaky sea salt all over. 



4 - Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the edges and underside are golden and crisp. Remove and let cool. Cut and serve. 

Seriously one of the easiest breads I've ever made. 


 

Comments